LAC Federal is seeking for a Cataloging Project Manager with a background in cataloging rare books. This is for a prestigious federal library on Capitol Hill. This is a long term full time (40 hour a week; Monday-Friday) benefited contract position.
This project requires supporting a full range of cataloging tasks including:
- Provide high-quality, original catalog records containing appropriate subject and copy-specific information for historic print books in consultation with agency cataloging team.
- Supplement OCLC records with item-specific information and subject headings and deletes unwanted fields; adds any missing physical description of the work.
- Enhance the agency’s catalog record by, for example, adding publication year to call number; adding publisher as a tracing; verifying all name, series, and subject entries; adding link; adding item record; and printing out and affixing spine label.
- Follow guidance provided by the conservation experts, carries out basic conservation measures such as boxing or tying book together in cases where the books are in poor physical condition.
- Advises on initiatives to encourage the use of historical textbooks by a broad scholarly public.
- Trains and maintains quality control of work done by junior cataloger.
- Participates in the development of a digital preservation strategy for the agency.
All applicants must have the following qualifications:
- ALA-accredited MLS or formal coursework or training in rare books, special collections librarianship, and original and copy cataloging.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in special collections or rare books librarianship, including experience in cataloging historic printed books.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging national cataloging standards, including RDA, MARC, AACR2, and historic book cataloging principles. DCRM(B) experience highly preferred.
- Experience using OCLC and Sirsi Dynix or comparable ILS.
- Understanding of preservation and conservation theory and practice.
- Aptitude for complex, analytical work with attention to detail, demonstrated problem-solving skills, flexibility and creativity.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
To apply, please visit: https://goo.gl/pqFXgR