The Serials Description Librarian performs original and complex copy cataloging of serials in all subjects and assigned languages. Exercises considerable independent judgment in carrying out daily work activities.
• Performs complex copy and original cataloging of serials in accordance with established policies, procedures, and standards. Creates and modifies cataloging records in the national cooperative cataloging environment, in accordance with both local and national standards, such as RDA, CONSER standards, and the MARC format.
• Inputs and maintains bibliographic, holding, and item information as needed to ensure accuracy and completeness of information. Creates holdings data fields including captions and patterns, and textual holdings for serials following MARC 21 format for holdings data and ANSI/NISO Z39.71 for serials.
• Searches and updates records in OCLC in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards. Inputs local data in order for our discovery layers to work in sync
• Re-cataloging of held serials identified for local and shared print retention.
• Handles highly complex problems regarding serials described using older standards, bringing them up-to-date as needed to facilitate user access.
• Shares expertise with others throughout the Duke University Libraries and serves as a primary resource for cataloging policies, issues, formats, and standards for serials.
• Reviews professional literature; networks with research services, collection development and other library professionals outside the University; and participates in activities to stay abreast of trends in serials cataloging in academic research institutions.
• Contributes to library-wide initiatives; participates in departmental and library-wide activities; serves on library committees and task forces.
• Displays continuing growth in professional and subject knowledge by taking an active interest in the profession. This growth and interest may be demonstrated through continuing development of professional knowledge and abilities, membership and participation in professional organizations, and/or service to the library, University, or community in a professional capacity.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
For full posting, please see: http://library.duke.edu/about/jobs/serialslibrarian