The Library Department is responsible for the administration and operations of most of the libraries across the University of California, Berkeley campus. The Library department offers a host of services to students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors, including hard copy and e-books for niche fields, and study space.
The Catalog & Metadata Services Department at The Library is responsible for cataloging and physical treatment of all new monographs and serials in all formats and languages (except Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) for the UC Berkeley Main and subject specialty libraries. The Catalog & Metadata Services Department is currently seeking a Metadata Creation Professional. The person in this role is responsible for maintaining the Library’s catalog – OskiCat.
This is a full-time Career appointment.
The Metadata Creation Professional will:
- Create and upgrade metadata/catalog records for continuing resources in all formats (primarily print, digital, microform).
- May provide metadata for foreign language materials as necessary.
- Perform complex database maintenance by resolving conflicts, improving or correcting bibliographic items, holdings and/or authority records in the UCB online catalog, OskiCat.
- Perform problem analysis for NRLF, subject specialty, and other library collections.
- May contribute authority records to national cooperative cataloging program and/or may perform complex authority and headings work in local database.
- Analyze, evaluate, interpret, revise or propose revisions to established guidelines; writes documentation and provide training pertaining to unit procedures and policies.
- May serve as an expert liaison to other Library units.