The University of Iowa Libraries seeks a Metadata Analyst. The Metadata Analyst provides leadership and direction on metadata strategies related to digital scholarship, digitization initiatives, special collections, archives and other metadata-dependent efforts to ensure good stewardship and maximize use and reuse of the Libraries’ diverse collection of digital objects. The Metadata Analyst sets standards for the creation and enhancement of descriptive and administrative metadata and develops strategies to increase productivity and streamline workflow. This position plays a major role in furthering the success of the Libraries’ digital initiatives by enhancing resource discovery and improving access to collections.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the Cataloging-Metadata Department’s efforts to provide non-MARC metadata for the Libraries’ resources, explore innovative ways to enhance existing metadata, and contribute to making the Libraries’ digital content more readily discoverable.
- Recommend and develop descriptive and administrative metadata schemas appropriate for diverse digital collections in collaboration with Special Collections and Preservation Department personnel, subject specialists, catalogers, and staff from the Libraries’ Digital Research and Publishing Department, serving as a resource for colleagues on metadata issues and practices, the definition of data elements, metadata usage, and mapping between metadata schemas.
- Work closely with the Library Information Technology Department on implementing technical solutions that enhance discovery and access.
- Advise on the development of automated workflows for metadata creation, extraction, transformation, quality control, syndication, and ingest.
- Lead research and development efforts on linked data initiatives that maximize exposure and access to collections.
- Network, collaborate and actively participate in national organizations, contributing to discussions about the emerging and dynamic role of metadata in providing access to information resources and the development of resource discovery tools and services.
- Design and implement metadata audits of new and existing collections.
- Develop and implement metrics to assess the value and impact of metadata and cataloging activities for discovery and timely access to Libraries’ resources.
- Develop documentation and instructional materials, and provide metadata training, consultation, and support.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.uiowa.edu/pands/view/64861.