This is a full-time, twelve month, tenure track position.
Rank is commensurate with experience.
This is an Exempt position which falls within the MSCA Union (Massachusetts
State College Association).
* Provides leadership for the Technical Services unit, which includes cataloging (all formats), serials processing, technical processing, and database maintenance.
* Supervises library assistants and student workers, including but not limited to evaluating performances and collaboratively setting priorities and goals.
* Collaborates with the Collection Development and Acquisitions unit to ensure efficient work flows and cooperative processes are practiced.
* Performs original and complex copy cataloging in all formats using national and international standards for completeness and fullness, including but not limited to rare books, electronic resources, photographs, archival materials and ephemera.
* Provides expert knowledge on cataloging standards (including RDA), print and online tools, and the use of software to improve technical processes of all types.
* Manages serials cataloging (all formats), maintenance, and receipt processes, including but not limited to updating online resource lists, troubleshooting link resolver problems, title changes, and some vendor communication.
* Ensures quality, consistency and ease of access to the bibliographic records in the online catalog.
* Develops policies, procedures and practices about and related to importing records, outsourced services, copy cataloging, staffing plans, and other documentation as needed or requested by the director of Library Services.
* Communicates effectively with other library units about cataloging policies, procedures and practices.
* Collaborates with the Digital Services librarian and others on suitable metadata standards and schemas (i.e., Dublin Core, TEI, and others) for identifying digital objects for the library’s institutional repository and other digital containers.
* Recommends purchases for the library’s collections in one or more subject areas and is the liaison to one or more academic departments.
* Actively participates in library- and campus-wide committees, meetings, and programs.
* Actively participates in professional organizations; attends conferences, workshops, and programs; develops a record of scholarly activities.
* Other duties as assigned by the director of Library Services or as appropriate to responsibilities and librarianship in general, including but not limited to running reports, staffing the Reference desk occasionally, and offering library instruction sessions.
Required Minimum Qualifications
* Graduate degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program.
* Knowledge of cataloging standards, database management, and use of technology in a technical services library environment.
* Experience in cataloging operations for all formats, LC and Dewey classification schemes, authority and subject heading systems, and the use of bibliographic utilities.
* Demonstrated knowledge of metadata standards, schema, and tools, including but not limited to EAD/EAC, Dublin Core, METS/MODS, VRA Core, MARC, FRBR and BIBFRAME.
* Ability to collaborate well with faculty, librarians, staff, students and administrators.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership, and team-building skills.
* Ability to think strategically, set priorities, and adapt quickly to changing environmental needs.
* Ability to manage responsibilities independently.
* Strong problem-solving, analytical and organizational skills.
* Three years of professional technical services experience in an academic, large public or special library.
* Second master’s degree needed for promotion beyond associate librarian rank.
* Experience using database products such as MS Access.
* Knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
* Experience using Ex Libris’s Voyager system.
* Special Instructions to Applicants
* Please attach a technical writing sample such as a procedure or policy statement to your online application.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.