Position Vacancy Listing
PVL # 76399
Working Title: Original Cataloger
Official Title: ACADEMIC LIBRARIAN(R04DN) or ASSOC ACAD LIBRARIAN(R04FN)
Degree and area of specialization: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent.
- Knowledge of and experience with cataloging standards and schema such as RDA, AACR2, LC-PCC PS, LCSH, and the MARC21 format.
- At least one year of cataloging experience using OCLC within an integrated library system (such as Voyager).
- Experience cataloging continuing and electronic resources.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, work independently, exercise individual initiative, and demonstrate flexibility as a team member in a dynamic work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience performing original cataloging.
- Experience in an academic or large public library.
- Experience with MARC record batch processing, including the use of metadata manipulation tools such as MarcEdit, Unix/Linux commands and scripts, regular expressions, or PERL.
- Familiarity with current and emerging metadata standards, and trends, such as MODS, METS, DCMI, and BibFrame.
- Familiarity with current and emerging library management and discovery technologies such as unified resource discovery layers (e.g. Primo, Summon), link resolvers (e.g. SFX) and electronic resource management systems (ERMs).
- Familiarity with LC classification and LCSH.
- Reading knowledge of one or more languages other than English.
This position provides original cataloging for information resources in a variety of formats (including continuing resources, electronic resources, monographs, audiovisual materials and microforms) and languages, using RDA, OCLC, MARC21, LCSH and LC classification schedules according to current national and international standards. In addition, this position is responsible for batch processing of records for electronic resources; supplying subject headings and classification numbers for bibliographic records lacking both and enhancing records in OCLC; participating in the Library of Congress BIBCO (the Monographic Bibliographic Program of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging) and NACO (Name Authority Cooperative Program of the PCC, including series names) programs; providing original cataloging records for the ECIP (Electronic Cataloging in Publication) program in cooperation with the Library of Congress; serving as a cataloging resource; participating in deliberations which result in the establishment of policies and procedures for cataloging and other activities; leading and participating in the Michigan/Hathi Trust Copyright Review Management System initiative; and engaging in professional development.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
A period of evaluation will be required.
Appointment Type: Academic Staff
Department(s): LIBR/CENTRAL TECHNICAL SE
Full Time Salary Rate: Minimum $43,000 ANNUAL (12 months) Depending on Qualifications
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Appointment percent: 100%
Anticipated begin date: JULY 01, 2013
Number of Positions: 1
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Application must be received by: MAY 24, 2013
HOW TO APPLY:
The University of Wisconsin-Madison, General Library System (GLS), an ARL institution, is accepting applications for the full-time academic staff position of Original Cataloger in the Original Cataloging Unit. The title of Associate Academic Librarian, or Academic Librarian will be assigned depending on the credentials of the successful candidate. Benefits include 22 vacation days, sick leave, group health insurance and life insurance, and a state retirement plan. This position will work closely with the other original catalogers, the appropriate selectors, and other departments.
The Original Cataloging Unit is one unit of the Cataloging Department of Central Technical Services Division which serves the libraries comprising the General Library System. This position reports to the Head of the Original Cataloging Unit.
Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume, cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing #76399, and contact information for three references to:
367 Memorial Library
728 State St
Madison, WI 53706-1418
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.