- Job ID: 15579
- Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
- Full/Part Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular; Library Professional 4
- Department: Library
- Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is May 16, 2013
In addition to maintaining the Library’s catalog OskiCat, the Catalog Department is responsible for receiving, processing, cataloging, and marking of all new monographs, as well as cataloging serials, electronic resources, data, and other types of non-print media for the UC Berkeley Main Library and the Subject Specialty Libraries. Serials Cataloging, a unit within the Catalog Department, is responsible for cataloging and maintaining records for serial publications in all formats and languages (except Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- Performs original serials cataloging and resolves complex problems related to existing serial records in all formats and languages (except Chinese, Japanese, and Korean); may contribute bibliographic records to the national Cooperative Online Serials program; performs name, series authority and subject heading work as necessary.
- Performs bibliographic maintenance; responds to maintenance requests using the BadCat request system.
- Analyzes, evaluates, interprets and revises or proposes revisions to established guidelines.
- Writes documentation and provides training pertaining to unit procedures and policies.
- Serves as an expert liaison (e.g. serves as serials expert to other Library units and on Library-wide committees and task forces).
- May lead a team of library professionals.
- Extensive experience with original and copy cataloging of serials in all formats and in several languages (excluding Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- Extensive experience performing maintenance on bibliographic records, holdings statements, and item level information for serials. Experience with OCLC, AACR2, Library of Congress Rule Interpretations, LC Subject Headings, LC Classification, and CONSER standards.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to anticipate how Serials Cataloging workflows and processes relate to and affect the work of other Library units, such as Acquisitions, Circulation, etc.
- The ability to implement and maintain a variety of simultaneous workflows.
- An aptitude for complex, analytical work requiring attention to detail.
- Must be dependable and able to excel in a fast-paced, collegial work environment.
- Experience cataloging non-print formats; experience with the Millennium integrated library system; knowledge of RDA (Resource Description and Access); knowledge of serials receiving and check-in practices.
Salary & Benefits
Monthly: $3,850 – $5,725
Annual: $46,200 – $68,700
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/forms_pubs/misc/benefits_of_belonging.pdf
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Apply through jobs.berkeley.edu.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer