Swarthmore College seeks a qualified individual to provide coordination for the management of the library’s growing collection of serial and monographic electronic resources, currently almost 15,000 journals and 500,000 ebooks. This position collaborates with library staff at Swarthmore and within the Tri-College consortium to provide user-centric services for information discovery and access and heads a two person operation managing e-resources.
The Electronic Resources Management Specialist manages the entire e-resource life cycle (purchasing, access, assessment and archiving) of online materials from sources external to the college. Responsibilities include acquisitions, cataloging, technical support, usage analysis, management and configuration of the link resolver knowledge base, management of proxy server data and problem resolution for these systems.
In collaboration with Tri-College colleagues, jointly manages all Tri-College online resources through the development and implementation of plans, policies and procedures for the acquisition, cataloging, discovery and technical maintenance of the resources, including the evaluation and implementation of new systems and the customization of public interfaces of those systems. The Electronic Resources Management Specialist is ultimately responsible for resolving all resource access problems that are reported by patrons and staff and remains abreast of matters affecting electronic resources management and advises library staff of changes in the field. In addition, participates in broader Tri-College technology initiatives.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in electronic resource management and bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of link resolver software (preferably SFX), proxy server software, and experience with an integrated library system (preferably Innovated Interfaces) required.
- Facility with standard Microsoft Office software, especially Excel, in order to assure efficiency and effectiveness in daily work. Proficient in searching library databases.
- Ability to work collaboratively with many colleagues both internally and externally. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills essential. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Commitment to using new technology to advance work goals and to enhance service. Solid organizational skills, flexibility and initiative. Enthusiasm for an innovative, evolving environment.
- Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited institution, completed or in progress.
- Familiarity with at least one foreign language.
- Knowledge of standard library metadata schema.
Please apply through our web site at www.swarthmore.edu under Human Resources and Employment Opportunities. Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.