The Klau Library of Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC-JIR), Cincinnati, seeks qualified candidates for the position of Hebraica and Serials Librarian to catalog Hebraic and Judaic materials in all formats and manage its print and online serials collections; this is a full-time, benefits eligible exempt position.
The academic programs of the College-Institute are fully supported by its Library system, composed of a main library on the Cincinnati campus (Klau Library, Cincinnati); there are three other libraries; the Klau Library in New York, the Frances-Henry Library in Los Angeles, and the Abramov Library in Jerusalem. The Klau Library, Cincinnati, in quantity and quality of holdings, stands at or near the top of all American collections of Hebraica and among the strongest in the world.
Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing operations of the Serials Department, including but not limited to selecting new titles, placement of orders, product check-in, claims and payment, and bindery activities;
- Manage access to electronic and online resources;
- Serving as the contact person for online serials and reference sources related to serials;
- Original and copy cataloging, primarily in Hebrew but also in Yiddish and other languages in all subject areas;
- Updating bibliographic and holdings records in the Library’s ILS, Virtua;
- Supervising a staff of 2 Full-Time Equivalents, plus student workers;
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serving at the Klau Library Reference Desk for 3 – 5 hours per week;
- Attending departmental and other meetings; and
- Contributing to special projects.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Relevant educational and professional experience, including a Master’s Degree from an ALA-accredited institution;
- Experience as an academic Judaica librarian, or a combination of relevant academic and professional experience;
- Experience working with serials and cataloging;
- Excellent Hebrew language skills, the ability to read Yiddish and the capacity to supervise staff members working with materials written in these languages;
- Computer literacy, including experience with OCLC, integrated library systems and Microsoft Office applications;
- Strong organizational skills and a cooperative approach to problem-solving; and
- Excellent oral & written communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter along with a resume and the names & contact information of three professional references to:
Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion
National Office of Human Resources
3101 Clifton Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45220
ATTENTION: Hebraica and Serials Librarian Search
NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE – APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED