Head of Electronic Resources and Serials (Harvard Library, Harvard University)
Reporting to the Head of Information and Technical Services (ITS) and serving as one of five area leaders that comprise the ITS management team, the Head of Electronic Resources and Serials will lead and manage a large organization of staff members engaged in acquiring, licensing, describing and ensuring access to electronic resources and serials published in all mediums, languages, and disciplines throughout Harvard’s libraries.
Success attributes include strong strategic focus, active participation in the ITS management team, a visible commitment to staff development in an environment that promotes creativity, innovation and continuous improvement, robust and effective communication with key constituents and stakeholders, and accountability for results. This position also has a substantial outreach component in consortial work, establishing strong relationships with content producers, and representing Harvard Library in regional, national and international activities.
· MLS or equivalent education or related work experience
· Eight-plus years of pertinent management experience in a large academic/research library or special library technical services setting or relationship management within a large scholarly publisher or vendor, or combination.
· Four to six years of supervisory experience and prior program management for staff required; within a team based, combined union and non-union staffing environment strongly desirable
· Substantive experience in the functional areas
· Experience in managing a complex budget and in financial planning and analysis
· Record of developing and implementing new ideas and managing change in a complex, knowledge-creating organization
· Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, set performance expectations, achieve goals, and direct work in a high-production setting
· Reading knowledge of at least one, preferably two foreign languages
· Experience in developing and managing consortial relationships and participating in vendor negotiations for consortial agreements
· Capacity to thrive in the exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment of a world-class research institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities
· Willingness to recognize and celebrate other people’s ideas
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and management, interpersonal and organizational experience and skills essential
· Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems or facilitate workflow required
· Ability to manage competing priorities with a positive, constructive, flexible, and cooperative manner required
Please submit resume and cover letter in Harvard’s on-line recruiting system. http://www.employment.harvard.edu/
Head of Electronic Resources and Serials for the Harvard Library is Req. # 26747BR. Thank you for your interest in this position.
Lead Recruitment Services Consultant
90 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
T. 617 384-5885