Head of Acquisitions (Harvard Library, Harvard University)
Reporting to the Head of Information and Technical Services (ITS) and serving as one of five area leaders that comprise the ITS management team, the Head of Acquisitions will lead and manage a large organization of staff members engaged in acquiring and ensuring access to monographic library materials published in all formats, languages, and disciplines.
(In FY 2011 over 215,000 monographs were added to the Harvard Library collection.) Success attributes include strong strategic focus, active participation in the ITS management team, proven project management skills, a visible commitment to staff development in an environment that promotes creativity, innovation and continuous improvement, robust and effective communication with key constituents and stakeholders, and accountability for results. This position also has a substantial outreach component with collection development, establishing strong relationships with materials vendors, and representing Harvard Library in regional, national and international activities.
· MLS or equivalent education or related work experience
· Eight-plus years of management experience in a large academic/research library technical services setting
· Four to six years of supervisory experience and prior program management for staff required; within a combined union and non-union staffing environment strongly desirable
· Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, set performance expectations, achieve goals, and direct work in a high-production setting
· Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment, including remaining calm under pressure
· Substantive experience in the functional area
· Experience in managing a complex budget and in financial planning and analysis
· Reading knowledge of at least one, preferably two foreign languages
· Capacity to thrive in the exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment of a world-class research institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities
· Willingness to recognize and celebrate other people’s ideas
· Ability to manage competing priorities with a positive, constructive, flexible, and cooperative manner required
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and management, interpersonal and organizational experience and skills essential
· Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems or facilitate workflow required
Please submit resume and cover letter in Harvard’s on-line recruiting system. http://www.employment.harvard.edu/
Head of Acquisitions for the Harvard Library is Req. # 26100R. Thank you for your interest in this position.
Lead Recruitment Services Consultant
90 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
T. 617 384-5885