Florida Institute of Technology’s Evans Library (http://lib.fit.edu) invites applications for the new position of Director of the Research Collection. Experienced professionals are encouraged to apply for this full-time faculty position that reports to the Dean of Libraries and is a part of the Library Leadership Team.
This position was established to integrate, organize, and manage all Library scholarly information resources as a single dynamic collection. Comprised of databases, print, electronic, microform, and on-demand-delivery books, periodicals, and government resources, the collection has been developed to mirror the research interests and information needs of the entire university community. Together, the Library’s Directors of Administration, Research Systems, Research Services, Research Instruction, and Research Collection assure that on-campus and online students and faculty have just-in-time access to needed resources.
Florida Institute of Technology (http://www.fit.edu/) is a Doctoral Research Intensive, STEM-dominant research university with 8,900 on-campus and online students enrolled in over 200 undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. The campus is a world-class research center, with over $94 million in sponsored research. All university students, in science, engineering, aviation, business, education, humanities, psychology, and communication, perform research throughout their academic careers, beginning in the freshman year.
- Monitors, analyzes, and applies knowledge of campus academic priorities and growth, collection usage, and consortial/vendor license opportunities.
- Assesses faculty and student communication and practices, reporting trends and applying this knowledge to the collection’s management.
- Analyzes collection budget allocations, tracking encumbrances and expenditures for all scholarly content; drafts the fiscal year collection budget.
- Recruits, supervises, and evaluates faculty, staff, and student employees, providing leadership, mentoring, coaching, and professional development.
- Serves as liaison to one or more academic units.
- Participates in the library’s disaster preparedness program.
- Represents the Dean and the Library at committee and other professional meetings.
- Contributes to the profession through scholarly research and publication.
- Master’s in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution, or the equivalent. Strongly preferred second Master’s degree or doctorate.
- Seven years of increasingly responsible professional library management experience in an academic/research library, or the equivalent.
- Demonstrated success in leading, planning, organizing, and managing critical library operations.
- Successful managerial and supervisory experience equivalent to the department head level, with demonstrated ability to maintain a culture of flexibility and excellent service and to lead staff through organizational change.
- Experience with and knowledge of current trends in academic/research libraries, information systems and technologies, digitization of research information content, and innovative approaches in collection development and management.
- Experience with budgeting and management of licenses, contracts, and vendors.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical, and project management skills.
- Salary/Contract: Twelve-month faculty appointment at a salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Applications received by May 28, 2012 will be given first consideration. Send cover letter, résumé, and the names and contact information for at least three references to: