Title: Head, Metadata Services Department
Department: Metadata Services
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave
3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays
Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
The University of Maryland Libraries is seeking a Head for the Metadata Services Department that will lead a service-centered department in designing, implementing, and assessing a wide range of processes that rely on metadata to provide access to the University of Maryland Libraries scholarly resources in all formats. In a collaborative environment, plans and develops policies, workflows, and special projects. In partnership with colleagues in Public Services, Collection Management, and the Information Technology Divisions, has primary leadership responsibility for knowledge access strategies through the Libraries’ discovery systems.
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education.
- A minimum of five years professional cataloging/metadata experience in a library serving similar clientele.
- A minimum of three years supervisory experience with evidence of successful and innovative management and results-oriented operations. Demonstrated abilities to creatively work with library faculty, staff and others.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and methods of access to scholarly resources, combined with a strong service orientation.
- Excellent planning, organizational and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of metadata standards and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to meet faculty appointment, promotion, and permanent status criteria
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://jobs.umd.edu, click faculty. You must be legally able to work in the United States. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty Ranks as established by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Rank at appointment is based on the successful applicant’s experience and relevant credentials. For additional information, consult the following website: http://www.lib.umd.edu/groups/la/APPSC/index.html
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until February 27, 2011.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.