The University of Baltimore’s Langsdale Library is seeking a Head of Technical Services and Content Management to provide leadership in areas of acquisitions, cataloging and metadata development for optimal user access to the library’s collection. Employment offer is contingent on final budgetary approval. The successful candidate should be a creative and team-oriented professional who will lead a department of one faculty and two paraprofessional staff with a vision to optimize metadata and cataloging records and to find new ways to use metadata to make the library’s collections more accessible to users.
To do so, he/she should have demonstrated knowledge of current trends in cataloging, metadata and information retrieval. Responsibilities will also include monographs and serials acquisitions, ordering and invoicing for digital resources, processing and tracking fund expenditures, and vendor relations. The Head of Technical Services and Content Management will work closely and collaboratively with Public Services, Special Collections and Digital Services to ensure efficient workflow and high-quality user experience, set goals, and establish priorities.
The successful candidate will provide expertise in cataloging (including MARC, RDA and other schemas); set departmental priorities and maximize fiscal and human resources for the benefit of Langsdale users; lead the department in the assessment of the collection (print and electronic) and the analysis of user data in order to align the collection with user needs. He/she will also lead in the evaluation and innovative use of technologies, including the management of the current and future integrated library system and discovery services; and lead ongoing review of departmental policies and work flows.
• ALA-accredited MLS; minimum five years library cataloging and acquisitions
• Minimum of three years supervisory experience with evidence of innovative leadership and demonstration of collaboration with library faculty, staff and others across the University
• Experience in original cataloging and non-MARC metadata creation
• Knowledge of trends in technical services and digital libraries, particularly in terms of metadata standards, with the ability to effectively communicate new developments in the field to library and non-library staff
• Ability to multitask and manage detail
• Demonstrated skill in project development
• Strong oral and written communication and critical thinking skills
• Knowledge of existing ILS systems and emerging library technologies
• Enthusiasm for an innovative and changing environment
• Ability to meet requirements for faculty appointment, promotion, and permanent status
• Experience with Ex Libris’ Aleph integrated library system
• Experience in an academic library setting
• Experience in collection management (print and electronic)
• Experience managing a materials budget
To Apply: Application materials include a cover letter, current resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Application materials must be submitted online to Jeffrey Hutson, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com. Applicants receiving further consideration will be asked to submit additional information as needed.
Vacancy Number 2012-021
Position Type: Faculty position with benefits package
Opens: 12/02/11 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Note: Apply by January 9, 2012 for best consideration; position is open until filled.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.