Head of Cataloging Unit
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Salary commensurate with rank and experience.
Applications will be reviewed until search is closed. Available now.
The Head of the Cataloging Unit oversees the operations of the unit, which include the cataloging of monographs, serials, computer files, electronic resources, maps, and microform materials. This position is responsible for helping create a vision for the cataloging unit, and determining long-term processes necessary for unit transition and workflow streamlining.
The unit head will plan and supervise unit database management activities and cataloging workflows. This position assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures for bibliographic and authority control for the UNT Libraries, and facilitates planning and process improvements for the unit. This position also performs original and copy cataloging using AACR2r, LCSH and LC classification, metadata descriptors, and will be involved in RDA conversion processes. This position is expected to publish and/or serve in professional organizations, and on university and library committees. This position is responsible for the supervision of staff and students.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
* Management and oversight of the bibliographic record creation workflow for materials purchased for the General Collection.
* Create bibliographic access for serials in all formats with emphasis on classed serials.
* Create bibliographic access for eBooks using vendor-supplied bibliographic record files, MarcEdit and III to edit records to be in compliance with current cataloging standards and LC call number practice.
* Oversight of PromptCat record loading for approval and firm orders; both for print and electronic books.
* Oversee copy cataloging for serials and monographs according to accepted cataloging standards.
* Manage and participate in resolution of cataloging problems found during receiving process, other bibliographic problems, and problems with added volumes, microforms and withdrawals.
* Oversee authority control of name, title, and subject headings.
* Coordinate with Resource Discovery Librarian on various III database editing projects.
* Upgrade bibliographic records for ceased serials.
* Provide training for library staff in the creation of holdings information for classed serials.
* Oversee planning and supervision of retro-conversion project.
* Plan and implement retro-conversion of classed serials.
* Implement MARC holdings record automation.
* Oversee Table-of-Contents record enrichment service.
* Maintain steady progress on Hidden Collections projects.
* Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate staff.
* Prepare administrative and statistical reports.
* Evaluate, recommend, and create new services or departmental routines.
* Serve as Liaison to Digital Libraries Division and participate in joint-division projects and workflows.
* Keep abreast of current trends, standards, and developments with regard to cataloging practices, bibliographic standards, automated systems, vendor-developed products, Internet resources, and the publishing industry.
Librarian rank will be determined by the Library Personnel Affairs Committee through review of the selected candidate’s education, experience, scholarly and professional involvement, and service.
Complete information about Librarian rank can be found at http://www.library.unt.edu/administrativeoffice/employment/librarian/academic-ranks-for-librarians/
* ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science.
* 2 years professional library experience.
* Original and copy cataloging experience.
* Metadata descriptor experience.
* Evidence of publishing and/or participation in professional organizations appropriate to the level of appointment.
* Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communication skills.
* Knowledge of current issues and principles regarding RDA.
* Experience working with digital projects.
* Supervisory experience.
* Demonstrated contribution to the profession through scholarly publications and/or presentations.
* Familiarity with III Millennium automation system.