Title: Continuing Resources Librarian
Category: Librarian (Open Rank)
Department: Acquisitions Department
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave
3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays
Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
The University of Maryland Libraries is seeking a Continuing Resources Librarian that will plan, implement, and manage all aspects of the continuing resource lifecycle for serial acquisitions in both print and electronic formats. In a collaborative environment, shares responsibilities for licensing and the management of electronic information resources purchased by College Park, as well as the shared consortial resources purchased through the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions. Assists the Head of Acquisitions in planning and developing policies, workflows, and special projects. Supervises four staff, establishing team goals and objectives, and measuring staff performance. Works with other Acquisition Department Team Leaders, Metadata Services, Collection Management, and Information Technology departments to resolve question or problems related to the acquisition of, or access to, continuing resources.
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education.
- Graduate assistantship/practicum or two years of library work experience with technical services work, including either electronic resource management or serial acquisitions management.
- Experience with automated acquisition systems and integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of technical services; knowledge of acquisitions and serial practices and procedures; knowledge of basic cataloging and bibliographic principles for serials; knowledge of serial/electronic resources issues and emerging trends; knowledge of publishing trends, book and subscription trade.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing. Demonstrated ability to solve problems analytically, and to work collaboratively in diverse environments in or to achieve goals.
- Three or more years of serial or acquisitions experience in an academic or research library, at least one of which was spent as a professional librarian.
- Two or more years of demonstrated management, supervisory, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated competencies in managing or troubleshooting electronic resources.
- Experience with Ex-Libris’ Aleph integrated library system.
- Demonstrated experience in applying systems knowledge toward data analysis or data management.
- Experience with developing, implementing, or using ERM’s or Discovery Services.
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty Ranks as established by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Rank at appointment is based on the successful applicant’s experience and relevant credentials. For additional information, consult the following website: http://www.lib.umd.edu/groups/la/APPSC/index.html
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://jobs.umd.edu. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a curriculum vitae, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until December 7, 2011.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.