Position title: Electronic Resources Librarian
Organization Name: Montana State University
Position Announcement Web Address: http://www.montana.edu/jobs/faculty/12112-2
Location: Bozeman, Montana
The Montana State University Library is committed to providing and promoting information resources to ensure student and faculty success. We value team-work, creativity, and an entrepreneurial spirit. Our librarians are leaders in university affairs as well as within state, regional, and national library communities.
The Montana State University Library seeks an Electronic Resources Librarian to be a member of the Collection Development Team. This position provides leadership and expertise in the evaluation, selection, promotion, and accessibility of electronic resources and is responsible for managing and negotiating subscriptions. Responsibilities include working with OpenURL linking technologies, managing Web-Scale Discovery Tools (e.g., Serials Solutions’ Summon), budgeting, analyzing usage statistics, licensing, and managing consortial agreements. Additional opportunities may include staff supervision, liaison responsibilities, reference work, and instruction duties. As a member of the Library faculty, there are obligations with regard to teaching, research and service. Individuals must remain professionally informed, pursue the discovery of new knowledge related to the field of expertise, disseminate the results of scholarly work, and seek opportunities for professional service at the Library, campus, state, or national level. This position reports to the Dean of the Library with daily supervision by and collaboration with the Collection Development Team Leader. We seek an innovative, detail-oriented, dynamic individual who can provide leadership in planning, organizing, implementing, and supporting ongoing access to electronic resources within the Library and the University.
- Masters degree from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited graduate program.
- Experience as a professional librarian performing electronic resource management or comparable experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with electronic resource linking technologies.
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, time, and project management skills.
- Knowledge of vendors, publishers, and library consortia.
- Experience implementing, managing, and troubleshooting Web-Scale Discovery tools.
- Experience in academic libraries.
- Experience with subscription vendors (e.g. EBSCO, Elsevier, etc.).
- Familiarity with electronic resources management technologies.
- Experience with budgeting and invoicing.
- Experience with negotiation contracts and licenses.
- Familiarity using relational databases.
The successful candidate will:
- Have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and a strong commitment to excellent customer service;
- Have an understanding of the current and emerging trends and issues in collection development, acquisitions, and academic libraries;
- Have the ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Have the aptitude to pay close attention to details and to be accurate in this work;
- Be an active tenure-track faculty member capable of meeting the university’s promotion and tenure requirements which include librarianship, research and creative activity, and service;
- Demonstrate a commitment to facilitating student success.
Appointment and Application Information
The position is a tenure track, 12 month position. Benefits include TIAA-CREF, health & life insurance, and 21 days annual leave. Available February 1, 2012. Screening begins December 15, 2011. Applications must include:
- a letter addressing each of the above required and preferred qualifications, and
- a curriculum vitae, and
- the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three (3) current professional references, including the capacity in which they have worked with you.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are preferred, and must have the applicant’s signature on the letter of application. For electronic submittals, please indicate “Applicant – Search #4B7858.” in the subject line of the email. ADA/EEO/AA/Veterans Preference. Claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation from HR/AA, MSU, Bozeman, MT 59717 [(406) 994-2042; TDD: (406) 994-4191]. Full position details at http://www.montana.edu/jobs/faculty/12112-2
Electronic Resources Librarian Search Committee
Office of the Dean
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320