The University of Maryland School of Law, Thurgood Marshall Law Library seeks a highly motivated, creative, entrepreneurial professional to coordinate the acquisition of library resources, provide metadata services for library materials, and lead the library’s relationship with consortial partners to develop library systems and resource acquisition opportunities.
The Law Library, located in Baltimore on the campus of the University of Maryland, is a vibrant institution dedicated to supporting the research and scholarship of the faculty and students of the School of Law. The library is committed to exploring and implementing innovative technologies and expanding consortial relationships to enhance library services to the law school community.
The staff of the Technical Services Department is responsible for a wide variety of activities ranging from those traditionally associated with technical services including acquisitions, serials, cataloging and metadata creation as well as an array of outreach services including copyright clearance, digital archiving, resource sharing, and scholarly communications. The Department has developed and manages an extensive institutional repository featuring faculty publications, special digital collections, and online journals.
The Resource Acquisitions & Metadata Services Librarian reports to the Associate Director for Technical Services & Administration and together with other members of the library faculty, provides a wide range of outreach and research services to the law school community.
- Manages the assessment, licensing, and procurement of library collections;
- Represents the library within the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions and other consortia on issues related to resource acquisitions and library systems;
- Coordinates metadata policy and procedures to ensure overall completeness, accuracy, and currency of library collection records for all formats; may perform original cataloging as required;
- Assists faculty, students, staff, and public patrons at a public service point
Minimum Qualifications: Required: ALA accredited masters degree in library or information science or its equivalent. Desirable: subject masters degree or JD; experience in technical services in an academic library environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard and emerging cataloging principles and metadata schemas;
- Ability to represent the library to consortial partners and the vendor community;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong service orientation and outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with current and emerging trends in library and information services.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package. The position is a 12-month library faculty appointment. The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for permanent status and promotion. A candidate with prior professional experience may be considered for initial appointment at a level above Librarian I.
Interested applicants should submit electronically a cover letter, resume, and the names and phone numbers of three references to: LAW-HR@)law.umaryland.edu, with subject line Resource Acquisitions, or mail to:
Mary Alice Hohing
Director, Administration & Operations
University of Maryland School of Law
500 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1786
Deadline: Preference will be given to candidates who apply by August 10th.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.