Tenure – Track Appointment
The University Library at the University of Saskatchewan invites applications for an Acquisitions Librarian to join its Collection Services Unit. We are seeking a dynamic and flexible individual with strong technical competence who is innovative in their approach to work and thrives in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
Librarians with technical services expertise provide infrastructure support (planning, consultation and implementation) for many library initiatives. In this newly designed role, the Acquisitions Librarian will be innovative in their approach to the following areas of responsibility:
- Resolve problems relating to acquisitions ordering and receiving of monographs and serials in all formats
- Develop standards, policies and procedures in acquisitions management
- Work with vendors to ensure efficient and timely acquisition of materials including problem solving and monitoring vendor performance
- Develop collaborative relationships with liaison librarians responsible for selecting materials
- Effective collection management as achieved through gathering and statistical analysis of collections data
- Assist the Head, Collection Services and the Assistant Dean (Services to Libraries) with collections-related activities
- Participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of an electronic resources management system, in collaboration with the Description & Discovery Unit
- Provide point-of-need assistance relating to electronic resource access issues
- Explore emerging trends and innovation in relation to technical services
As a requirement for tenure and promotion, Librarians are required to engage in research and scholarly work leading to the development of a formal program of research and actively disseminate research results via peer-reviewed outlets. Examples of Librarians’ scholarly work can be found at http://ecommons.usask.ca. Librarians participate in collegial activities, and are encouraged to engage with academic or professional organizations.
Candidates must possess a Master of Library Science from an accredited library school. Candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong service orientation, aptitude and competence in technical services and technology, success in developing effective and collaborative professional working relationships and partnerships, strong analytical and problem solving skills, effective communication and organizational skills, flexibility, initiative, an ability to work independently as well as in a collegial team environment, and a desire to lead and motivate others. Candidates should also highlight their commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis.
The successful appointee will become a member of the Faculty of the University of Saskatchewan and will be eligible for consideration for tenure in due course. Duties for all Librarians are assigned annually by the Dean. Rank (Librarian I or II) will be determined upon appointment and is dependent upon qualifications and experience. Salary, usually at the base of the assigned rank, will be determined upon appointment. Compensation for U of S Faculty can be found at usask.ca/hrd/manager/compensation.php. Faculty enjoy an excellent benefits plan including six weeks annual vacation, sabbatical leaves, an annual professional expense allowance, as well as research support.
The full job advertisement can be viewed at http://library.usask.ca/employment/index.php