Serials/Electronic Resources Librarian
Biddle Law Library, University of Pennsylvania Law School
The serials/electronic resources librarian is responsible for all library continuation material in both print and electronic formats and for binding of print material. Reporting to the Associate Director for Technical Services, the librarian performs the following duties:
- Manages the serials unit of the library, establishing and documenting all necessary policies and procedures; hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates 3 support staff responsible for serials check-in, serials claiming, serials check-in record maintenance, data entry related to e-resources, binding, and sorting library mail;
- Manages all required work activities for the library’s growing electronic resources including creating and maintaining electronic resource records in EBSCO’s ERM Essentials and updating of any related check-in and order records; maintains licensing details, preferably electronically in EBSCO’s ERM Essentials, or in paper format when necessary; monitors the lifecycle of library subscriptions to all electronic resources, including individual journals, databases, e-resources packages and other electronic content;
- Works with other librarians to coordinate the set up of trials for electronic resources; notifies Associate Director for Technical Services when orders resulting from trials should be placed;
- Monitors vendor performance; works with Systems/Emerging Technologies Librarian to set up and monitor usage statistics gathered through the proxy server, SerialsSolutions, and/or collected directly from publishers and vendors;
- Coordinates with Systems/Emerging Technologies Librarian and Associate Director for Technical Services to troubleshoot access problems;
- Takes lead role in promoting electronic resources, working with both reference librarians and the Systems/Emerging Technologies Librarian to develop a wide array of activities that will increase the students’ and faculty’s awareness and use of the library’s electronic resources;
- Works closely with Systems/Serials Library Specialist on claiming and replacement of print and other serials-related matters;
- Serves as a backup for placement of rush, faculty requests using a University of Pennsylvania purchasing card;
- Participates in a variety of library-wide planning activities and committees; participates in collection development activities; serves as serials liaison with other library and law school departments, library patrons, other libraries and organizations.
Master’s degree or equivalent in library or information science;
- Library experience, preferably in a technical services department, at either the professional or paraprofessional level or substantial student internship experience as part of a library school program;
- Strong service orientation; initiative and ability to work both independently and in a collaborative, collegial environment; strong service orientation with excellent organizational skills; excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing;
Knowledge of legal materials and experience in an academic law library environment;
- Demonstrated supervisory ability;
- Familiarity with MARC formats and bibliographic data; working knowledge of standard metadata formats.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive. The University of Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer.
The position is available September 1, 2011, and we will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume and names of three references to:
Paul M. George
Associate Dean and Director of Biddle Law Library
Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania Law School
3460 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3406