Head of Technical Services, full-time, exempt
Mills College is a nationally respected independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for both women and men. Located on 135 lush acres in the foothills of Oakland, California, the College enrolls approximately 961 undergraduate women and 635 graduate women and men. Consistently ranked one of the top colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report and one of the “Best 373 Colleges” by The Princeton Review, Mills provides a dynamic liberal arts education fostering women’s leadership, social responsibility, and creativity.
Reporting to the Associate Library Director, this position oversees the Technical Services Department of the F. W. Olin Library. Duties include the overall management and staff supervision of the department including acquisitions, cataloging, physical processing, and database and electronic resource maintenance. The position encompasses aspects of long range planning and goal-setting as well as the daily functions of the department. This position will partner with the Head of Reference and others to foster collaborative initiatives.
Responsibilities include supervising the Serials and Data Control Librarian and one Library Specialist (Acquisitions). This position will perform original and complex copy cataloging of books and other formats. The candidate should have a strong knowledge of systems and the ability to work with the Library Systems Administrator. Working with staff, the individual will also be responsible for evaluating current procedures and making recommendations for implementing and documenting workflow changes as needed. The position includes collection development responsibilities in several subject areas. The position requires a weekly evening shift and three Sundays a semester on the Reference Desk.
- Graduate degree in librarianship from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible experience in a technical services department, preferably in an academic setting.
- Management and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience with original and copy cataloging done to national standards.
- Experience with OCLC, AACR2, MARC, DDC, and authority control.
- Experience with integrated library systems, preferably Innovative Interfaces.
- Conversant with emerging technology, library trends, and technical services issues.
- Ability to review and update department procedures and workflows.
- Experience with acquisitions and collection development policies and procedures.
- Ability to monitor budgets.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, faculty, students, and staff.
- Willingness to work one evening a week and 3 Sundays per semester on the Reference Desk.
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Familiarity with RDA.
- Familiarity with metadata.
- Teaching or instructional experience.
- Special Collections and/or music original cataloging experience.
SALARY: $52-55,000, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan, 22 days vacation plus 13 paid holidays and 12 sick days annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter specifying job title, Mills application form, and contact information for three references to:
Application deadline is June 10, 2011. Start date is on or after August 1, 2011.