SERIALS ACQUISITIONS LIBRARIAN
Auburn University, a land-grant institution with an enrollment of more than 24,000 students, invites applications for a twelve-month tenure-track position as Serials Acquisitions Librarian. The Auburn University Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries, house a collection of more than three million volumes, and operate with a current materials budget of $5.8 million.
Auburn is a small, friendly university town located on the beautiful plains of eastern Alabama, about 50 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama’s capital, and 115 miles southwest of Atlanta, Georgia. Other nearby cities are Birmingham, Alabama (110 miles northwest) and Columbus, Georgia (35 miles east).
Auburn University Libraries seeks a service-oriented, energetic individual to manage the acquisition, access, maintenance, and preservation of a serials collection that is primarily electronic. The position reports to the Head, Electronic Resources and Serials Services Department. The successful candidate will
* Work closely with public services librarians and staff in the
Electronic Resources and Serials Services unit regarding acquisitions and access to serials in all formats (primarily electronic)
* Coordinate with other library units as the Libraries* print
subscriptions continue to migrate to electronic subscriptions
* Coordinate ordering, payment, receipt, and holdings maintenance
of serials in all formats (primarily electronic) including standing orders and continuations
* Resolve complex serials related problems
* Ensure effective timely, efficient, and quality service to
patrons by participating in thorough evaluation of current procedures
* Identify and respond to cataloging and access problems caused by
the transition to electronic formats
* Proactively develop procedures to prevent electronic resource
access problems before they occur
* Populate and maintain accurate, up-to-date records in any
electronic resource management system the Libraries may purchase or develop
* Perform original and copy cataloging for serials in all formats
* Oversee the Gifts and Exchange serials
* Participate in policy decisions, document policies, procedures,
* Assist with collection of usage data for electronic resources
* May work limited shifts at the Reference Desk
* REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
* Master*s degree in library or information science from an
ALA-accredited program, or equivalent
* Knowledge of electronic resource management tools, trends, and
practices, through experience or coursework
* Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to work independently, balance priorities, set and meet
* Evidence of attention to detail
* Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
* Strong service orientation
* Successful participation in a major project
* Knowledge of electronic serials resources
* Ability to work effectively as part of a team
* Experience in an academic or research library
* Experience with a link resolver
* Knowledge of trends in resource connectivity;
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially
Excel and Access
* Working knowledge of HTML, XML, SQL, and scripting
* Knowledge of AACR2, LCSH, and LC classification
* Familiarity with COUNTER compliant usage statistics
SALARY/BENEFITS: Minimum salary $44,720 for a Librarian II.
Twelve-month tenure-track position. Benefits include 20 days vacation
leave/12 days sick leave per year; participation in State Teachers* Retirement System (mandatory); other additional voluntary retirement plans available; health/life/disability insurance.
APPLICATION: Application review process begins April 22, 2011, and will continue until a qualified candidate is selected and recommended for appointment. Complete application must include letter of interest, resume, and names, mail and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of three current references. The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment.
APPLY TO: Ms. Pambanisha Whaley, Chair, Serials Acquisitions Librarian Search Committee, Ralph Brown Draughon Library, 231 Mell Street, Auburn University, AL 36849-5606; e-mail: Library.Recruitment@auburn.edu.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY