Utah State University Libraries seek an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented librarian to fill the newly created position of Digital Services Librarian. This 12-month, tenure-track, entry-level faculty position with rank of Assistant Librarian reports to the Associate Dean for Technical Services and is responsible for a broad range of services and duties related to the libraries’ web sites and digital content and services. In addition to providing leadership managing the content and design of the libraries’ website, this person will guide the library in implementing new technologies to enhance our patrons’ experiences, especially USU’s distance students, and will play an active role in library outreach activities. The successful candidate will participate in the development of a library plan for digital preservation and data curation.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Oversee the content, collaborative design, development, and maintenance of the libraries’ web services
- Facilitate assessment and use of analytic tools to gather, report and evaluate web statistics and data
- Identify, implement, and maintain new technology applications to enhance the web delivery of services and resources to on-campus and distance students
- Assist in developing new methods to share the Libraries’ digital assets with other entities such as HathiTrust, the Mountain West Digital Library, and Open Folklore
- Contribute to campus initiatives such as open access, scholarly communication and publishing
- Customize the web presence for the Library’s digital collections
- Masters of Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and issues in library technology
- Strong interest in emerging technologies and using technology to serve library constituents
- Experience with HTML/CSS and website design
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to set and follow through on priorities individually and in a team environment
- Project management experience and demonstrated success in working collaboratively with a variety of constituencies
- Experience with web site administration, accessibility, and usability
- Familiarity with database design and SQL
- Knowledge of current issues in digital preservation, metadata and data curation
Salary: $36,500 and includes an excellent benefits package, with generous university contribution to retirement, 22 days vacation, and sick leave. Utah State University is a land-grant institution serving a student population of 25,000. It is situated in a valley 80 miles north of Salt Lake City and offers an affordable cost of living and a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.
Application instructions: Please submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and examples of website development or design. Review of applications will begin February 15, 2011. To apply, visit http://jobs.usu.edu and search for requisition ID number 052488. Utah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.