The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Campus Libraries seek a creative and forward-thinking professional for the position of Director of Technical Services. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Access Services, the Director provides leadership in the provision of intellectual access to resources acquired and licensed by the Libraries in a changing mix of user-oriented online environments.
The scope of Technical Services units comprises acquisitions; electronic resources and serials management; and cataloging and metadata production, integration, and maintenance. The Director oversees the lifecycle management of metadata and the supporting processes that enable knowledge access through a suite of discovery and retrieval systems, working closely with units responsible for Libraries information technology, and collection development and management. The Director is responsible for designing and overseeing a wide range of special projects addressing content discovery, access, and management. The Director will have the opportunity to manage significant new service development and to redesign organizational structures and staff roles in this innovative environment.
As a member of the Libraries Leadership Council, the Director contributes to Libraries planning, budget allocation, and the development and leadership of major strategic initiatives. The position has a critical responsibility for collaboration and building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The University Libraries provide a highly collaborative environment, distinguished by innovative programs of process improvement, new models for teaching/learning and research support, extensive support for enterprise systems, and significant digital library development. Outreach is strengthened by unparalleled infrastructure for resource sharing and information access within the state and region provided by the University Libraries-based Minitex program. The Libraries is a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) and the Center for Research Libraries.
The Director leads, shapes, and oversees the work of 47 staff (9 academic professional librarians, and a total of 38 in managerial, specialist, and library assistant employees, plus student employees) engaged in acquiring and making accessible research resources in all formats for the University of Minnesota Libraries. The Libraries deploys the ExLibris Aleph ILS, using both the native Aleph OPAC interface and PRIMO as end-user access systems; Verde, the Ex Libris electronic resources management system; and DSpace, Fedora, and HathiTrust for its digital repository systems. The Aleph ILS is a shared system with the University of Minnesota Law Library and the coordinate campus libraries; the Director holds a leadership role in consulting on and developing, coordinating, and implementing bibliographic control policy and practices among these stakeholders. The Libraries expends more than $14 million on acquisitions and access (including approximately $9.5 million for electronic resources) and adds 93,000 volumes annually.
- ALA-accredited Masters degree in Library or Information Science or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
- A minimum of five years substantial successful experience in acquisitions, cataloging, processing, and/or descriptive metadata production processes. Evidence of successful and creative management of staff and operations, including demonstrated potential for leading transformational change
- Evidence of leadership in the fields of knowledge access and resource management, including demonstrated effective administrative, management, planning, financial, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the capabilities and future trends of library technology and systems to optimize discovery and delivery and related trends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative environment with diverse groups and to inspire and motivate
- Demonstrated knowledge of metadata standards, rules, and tools
- Evidence of creative problem-solving and innovative, results-oriented approaches to processes and organizational development
- Record of professional activities, including research and engagement in professional organizations.
- Experience in an academic/research library
- Experience with data and financial planning analysis, process analysis and improvement
- Experience in grant development
- Experience managing licensed e-content packages, shelf-ready processes, and/or approval plans
- Experience in coordination or management of integrated library system functions; experience with Ex Libris products
- Demonstrated service orientation and knowledge of user needs for teaching, learning, and research
The University of Minnesota is located in the center of the Twin Cities metropolitan area (http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/). The Twin Cities are known for offering vibrant cultural programming through numerous arts venues, an extensive park and recreational systems, and an engaged and diverse community.
This is a full-time, 12-month, continuous appointment track academic professional position with probationary appointment at the Assistant Librarian rank with the potential for appointment at Associate Librarian. The Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and substantial moving allowance.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Submit a letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three current professional references at https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=86907 Please identify cover letter with UL266.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.