ProQuest, a world-wide information company, employs an Associate Editor, Library of Congress to perform essential data acquisition, data capture, and quality control activities at the Library of Congress in the ISSN PL Section for both the LC CONSER and the Serials Solutions bibliographic database, and MARC record authentication and normalization for the Serials Solutions knowledgebase.
ProQuest has been an innovator and leader in publishing and providing quality abstracts and indexes in the information field for over 30 years. ProQuest’s products serve as a guide to researchers, faculty, librarians, and students. The serials database feeds Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory, a standard in the library community since 1932, as well as Ulrichsweb.com.
As Associate Editor, Library of Congress you will be a ProQuest/Serials Solutions employee but will be located in the Washington, DC office of the Library of Congress. As Associate Editor, Library of Congress you will be entering data into both the Serials Solutions and Library of Congress databases, and will have access to the Serials Solutions knowledgebase via KBTools.
To perform essential data acquisition, data capture and quality control activities at the Library of Congress, for the LC CONSER database, the Serials Solutions bibliographic database, and the Serials Solutions knowledgebase.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Catalog continuing resources (i.e., serials, databases, online directories, etc.) submitted to the Library of Congress for ISSN, including pre-pub applications.
• Input new records and update existing records online in the CONSER database and the Serials Solutions bibliographic database; or transfer data from CONSER database to the Serials Solutions database via spreadsheet or file load.
• Subject classify, catalog, and edit bibliographic information about US serials publications listed in Serials Solutions’ bibliographic database.
• Ensure ISSNs assigned by LC are added to records in Serials Solutions’ bibliographic database.
• Monitor entries in the Serials Solutions’ bibliographic database with Announced for Publication Status; and monitor and recommend subject heading additions and changes.
• Authenticate1 records against the CONSER database upon request from Serials Solutions, adding those records to CONSER as appropriate, and sending the data back to Serials Solutions.(FN)
• Normalize2 titles added to CONSER in the course of cataloging continuing resources to enhance Serials Solutions authority data.
• Normalize Open Access journals to ensure e-ISSN assignment is correct.
• Research publishers identified as missing ISSN coverage by Serials Solutions’ editors, and add to Serials Solutions’ bibliographic database and CONSER record, as appropriate.
• Assist with special projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Editorial or comparable experience a plus.
• Experience working with online systems and standard software (e.g., word processing, email, spreadsheets, and databases) required.
• Position requires sound editorial judgment, and an ability to adhere to schedules and multiple deadlines.
• Must be accountable and work well under pressure.
• Attentiveness to detail, accuracy, and organization are essential.
• Must interact effectively with individuals at all levels.
• Must be flexible and able to act independently (after training).
Education, Work Experience and/or Licensure
• Two to three years of bibliographic, library or database experience required.
• Specialization in Serials preferred.
• Knowledge of MARC21, AACR2 cataloging, and subject analysis.
• All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
• Excellent understanding of the English language, oral and written.
• Knowledge of other languages a plus.
• Some travel to Serials Solutions’ New Providence, NJ offices will be required from time to time.
• Basic office environment at Library of Congress, Washington, DC
• Competitive Benefits Package
• Tuition Reimbursement Plan
• Flexible schedule options
• Please apply online
• This position does not include relocation expenses
RESUMES SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Interested and qualified individuals must apply directly using the following link:
Or through the Careers search feature of the ProQuest website: