The Florida International University Libraries are taking a new approach to technical services in the context of the 21st century library. The libraries seek two energetic and creative full-time Metadata and Cataloging Services Librarians to join us in the exciting and evolving area of data and knowledge management. Each entry-level position will grow in responsibility to perform complex cataloging and database maintenance, while working in a team-based environment to manage new and special projects. Reporting to the Head of the Cataloging Department, the positions will be doing: serials cataloging; loading of Serials Solutions records; authority control work; creating, managing and migrating metadata sets; processing and troubleshooting batch data loads; and digital library development.
Although some knowledge and experience is required, FIU will provide additional training as necessary.
The successful applicants will possess an ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS or equivalent and some knowledge of one or more of the following, and the ability and interest to expand their professional skill sets to include:
a) Knowledge of AACR2/MARC principles and standards for cataloging serials and monographs, print and electronic.
c) Knowledge of metadata standards (Dublin Core, MODS, EAD, XML, and others).
d) Knowledge of the principles of authority control and database maintenance in general.
Additional Required Qualifications:
1. Knowledge of integrated library system databases or the OCLC bibliographic utility.
2. Professional flexibility to operate between traditional MARC-based systems and metadata for a digital library environment.
3. Ability to manage descriptive schemas supporting cross-departmental/institutional digitization projects.
4. Ability to develop clear written procedures to assist with staff training and oversight of diverse digital and/or database enhancement projects.
5. Ability to adapt to changing standards and evolving work-related expectations in a dynamic working environment.
6. Ability to work in a multicultural collaborative environment with teams of faculty and staff.
7. Ability to work independently, take initiative, and follow through effectively and efficiently with issues and tasks.
8. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
9. Commitment to the service mission of the academic library.
1. Library related work experience performing one or more of a) through d) above.
2. Experience with digital collection management systems, such as Digitool, CONTENTdm and/or Digital Commons.
3. Training experience.
4. Reading knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
22 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, TIAA/CREF or other retirement options, health/life insurance options, no state or local income tax. For more information, see http://www.fiu.edu/hr/Benefits/Home.html
About the University:
Florida International University is one of the most rapidly growing urban, multi-campus comprehensive universities in the USA, offering over 200 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, with a student enrollment of over 41,000.
More information is available at: http://www.fiu.edu
About the Libraries:
Please refer to http://library.fiu.edu for more information.
Initial screening of applications will begin October 11, 2010 and continue until the position is filled.
Applications and accompanying documentation are to be submitted online at http://www.fiujobs.org. Position numbers are 44128/44560. Accompanying documentation must include a letter of interest, a résumé, and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. All inquiries should be directed to Mirtha Hernández, Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at email@example.com