The full job posting can be found here:
Posting Number: 6000248
Job Title: Assistant Professor, Digital Initiatives Librarian
Position Type: Faculty
Union: AAUP – American Assoc of Univ Professors
Status: Calendar Year, Full-time, Tenure-track, Permanent
Department: Kingston Library
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a calendar year, tenure-track position with anticipated hire date of January 1, 2011.
- Provide leadership in the management of the University of Rhode Island’s digital repository (currently DigitalCommons@URI) and technical expertise to continue development and enhancements.
- Coordinate with library subject liaisons, Technical Services Dept staff, Information Technology Svs (ITS) staff, and other members of the University community to enhance access to the University’s scholarly communications and publications within the digital repository.
- Formulate policies and procedures for the production, management, and preservation of digital content and metadata, technical workflow, quality control, and intellectual property issues.
- Provide training and outreach to the campus community about digital initiatives and DigitalCommons@URI.
- Actively seek out new user communities and content for the digital repository.
- Provide leadership and vision in planning and implementing future digital library development.
- Provide ongoing qualitative and quantitative assessment of library digital services through data gathering and analysis.
- Plan and coordinate the preservation of and ongoing access to digitized and born-digital materials curated by the library.
- Work with IT staff and users of campus-wide applications to integrate library digital collections into these services, e.g., Sakai.
- Anticipate future trends in an evolving digital environment and maintain current awareness of national and international developments affecting knowledge management, metadata, and information retrieval; articulate to campus community.
- Identify grant opportunities and work collaboratively to create proposals in support of digital collections.
- Work as a member of the Technical Services Department and reports to the Dean.
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program;
- A minimum of two years’ experience in an academic library setting;
- The following are also required: Technical proficiency with programs and platforms such as Unix / Linux, XHTML, XML, XSLT, CSS, Oracle / SQL, PERL or PHP, and experience with digital repository platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective digital projects;
- Experience with the concepts and applications used in organizing and presenting digital information;
- Demonstrated professional facility with a variety of metadata and associated functional standards, including Dublin Core, EAD, MARC, TEL, etc. and appropriate thesauri.
- Awareness of institutional repository issues and software requirements.
- Knowledge of intellectual property compliance issues and applicable copyright law.
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices, standards, issues and trends relating to digital initiatives in an academic library.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, as well as excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex analytical and detailed work.
- Ability to effectively interact with audiences of diverse technological backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across organization lines and in collaboration with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Ability to learn and teach new technologies quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative, service oriented, rapidly changing environment to accomplish mutual goals.
- Demonstrated ability to write grants and project RFPs.
- Ability to fulfill University requirements for retention, tenure and promotion.
Position Number: 108158
- Degree in computer science strongly preferred.
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces integrated library system and Millennimum platform.
Posting Date: 09-08-2010
Closing Date: (This date includes grace period if applicable.) 10-12-2010
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please attach a cover letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format.
Campus Location: Kingston