The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries seeks applications and nominations for the position of Acquisitions Librarian. Reporting to the head of Bibliographic Services, University Libraries, the Acquisitions Librarian manages, plans, and supervises all acquisitions operations by coordinating the procurement and receipt of library materials.
The Acquisitions Librarian performs the following duties:
Provides leadership for the formulation of policies and procedures related to ordering and receiving of materials for University Libraries, ensuring that they follow audit requirements and maximize productivity.
- Supervises and manages all routine activities in the daily operation of the Acquisitions unit.
- Manages Acquisitions staff including hiring, setting assignments, training and evaluating job performance.
- Manages and expends acquisitions budget and produces financial reports from the ILS that clearly track monies allocated, encumbered and expended for different types of collections and subject areas.
- Supervises and manages all activities in ordering and receiving new materials via firm order and/or approval plan
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Collections and Scholarly Communication to coordinate allocating funds and the receipt, and accounting of new approval and firm ordered materials.
- Assists the Associate Dean for Collections and Scholarly Communication and library bibliographers by providing information and reports as requested.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with book vendors and electronic service providers.
- Ensures the reviewing of current and prospective vendors to assess service and pricing, renegotiating discount/pricing structures with appropriate vendors.
- Ensures monthly reconciliation of all funds with campus ledgers.
- Responsible for generating system records and reports which support the purchasing history for University Libraries, providing records for all department funds, and assisting in gathering such data for assignments as requested.
- Remains knowledgeable of current trends in acquisitions, collections and electronic resource management. Seeks opportunities to introduce new methods and technologies to improve service.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean of Collections and Scholarly Communication, participates fully in the collection development program, developing bibliographer skills and writing or revising a collection policy as assigned.
- Actively participates in library committees as assigned.
- Participates in professional growth and development to enhance skills and knowledge, particularly those related to acquisitions management.
- Seeks opportunities to provide service to library-related organizations, the university, and the community at large.
- Other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree;
- Minimum of two years of experience working with library collections, vendors and materials budgets in an academic or research library;
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to manage staff;
- Successful working experience with an approval plan;
- Working knowledge of cataloging practice and standards, including MARC records management;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in professional growth and development, and service;
- Ability to work effectively and creatively in a culturally diverse, technologically complex and rapidly changing library and university system.
Experience in a consortial purchasing environment
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces Inc. integrated library system
- Knowledge of MARC cataloging standards and serials management
Appointment rank and salary
Rank: This is a tenure track, faculty position – to be hired at the assistant or associate professor level depending upon qualifications and experience.
Salary: Preferred hiring range is $40,000 to $50,000 depending upon qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin on March 26, 2012, and will continue until the position is filled. The expected starting date is July 2, 2012.
To apply for this position please go to https://jobs.usm.edu. Please attach a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for meeting the position responsibilities, a current curriculum vitae and complete contact information for at least three references.
For further information: Contact Edward G. McCormack, Acquisitions Librarian Search Committee chair, Edward.Mccormack@usm.edu or by phone at 228.214.3466